Saturday 18 July 2009

TESTIMONY SCHOOL BEGAN when Testimony Faith Homes started a Nursery School in 1981. A young lady from England, Miss. Jane Hotham, was with us at that time as a Volunteer, and she it was that set the Nursery School up. It flourished and in 1985 expanded into the first three Classes of Primary School, continuing on in 1987 to add Classes 4 to 8, completing the Primary School. We now have a Nursery Department of some 100 pupils and a double stream Primary School of some 570 students. Between 1994 and 1996 we also built a single stream of Secondary School comprising four Classrooms with a capacity of 144 students. The School is adjacent to Testimony House, our first Orphan Home, and stands on some 4 acres of land. This will be the 28th Anniversary of the Founding of the School which Jane Hotham began for us. And it is so good THIS YEAR to have one of her sons, SIMON Foster, with us and able to attend the 28th Parents & Prize-giving Day NEXT SATURDAY, the 25th July. I have thought to include here an article that appeared in our in the TESTIMONY Newsletter for March 1981 -

'A SHORT WORD from Jane Hotham, late of Durham University, England, and presently Head Mistress of our NEW Nursery School . "Writing at the end of 1st Term, there is SO MUCH to share and to Thank the Lord for since the last Letter when John asked for prayer for the Project.
One particular request was to pray for another teacher, which the Lord has answered very wonderfully in providing Irene (an untrained teacher from Kenya) who has been a real blessing to me, and to the children. SO NOW we have two teachers, and our School has increased to 20 children, nine of whom, come from outside of the Homes. As it happens they are all girls, which makes a nice balance with all our own little boys! Another change has been in our move to new premises; into two of the old Hostel rooms which were not being used, and which could almost have been specially built for a Nursery School. Looking back over the Term, I sometimes wonder who has learnt more, me and Irene - or the children!
The LORD has taught us SO much, and it is very wonderful to know that each day we can call upon Him for His Wisdom and Love to take us through the morning. He has blessed us with many joys, and encouragement too, as we see the children learning and mastering new skills and taking pride in their achievements. And so, whilst I must
admit I am enjoying the holidays, I DO look forward to NEXT Term, and to all the Lord has in store for us" - Jane.
Jane finally left us in January 1982, greatly missed. All of those FIRST children now 28 years older, many with families of their own, and perhaps a son or daughter soon to join Testimony Nursery School to begin the long trek through School Days.
USUALLY WE COMBINE the School Parents Day with Founders Day which commemorates the actually beginnings of Testimony Faith Homes, but THIS YEAR, because it is the 40th Anniversary we decided to separate them. Founders Day for TFH will be celebrated in August on the actual day we began.
For the School Parents & Prize Giving this year we have the Chief Magistrate of our District, His Honour Mr. Charles G. Mbogo, who will also be accompanied by the Children's Magistrate Mrs. Alice Mong'are. They are expected to arrive about 10 a.m. on Saturday, and then walk around the Homes and School till about Lunch Time. In the Afternoon, after lunch, the School will put on a Concert and then give out Prizes to the students who have earned notice. We hope it will not rain TOO much (the RAINS have now come back since last week and in earnest.

AS I WAS LOOKING for the letter from Jane in the March Letter for 1981 I also came across this little testimony extracted from my Diary for 22nd January 1970 -
"So far this month we have received 58/- (about 2 pounds in those days. I had 15 children then and could live well enough on 25 pounds a month at the time. Amazing!) from the wide world. There is nothing in the Bank to day, and I have 20/- in hand - in my pocket that is. Well Lord, where can I look.........only to you Who is closer than a brother...
...As I was writing an old Gardener from Siriba College walked in on me. He came to ask me to help him pay his sons School Fees. I explained that my situation was such that I could not.
He persisted in his asking none the less, and saikd that even twenty shillings woujld do. I replied that is was impossible for me to do even that much fkor him, and so at last he left, bent and worried.
As I sat on at my desk, one of the children came in. He sat on the arm of my chair and said -
"Dad, doesn't the Bible say that you should give to the one that asks?'
"YES! Indeed it does," I replied,
not seeing where I was being led.
"Then why did you not give the twenty shilling I can see in your shirt pocket
to that old man - I heard him asking you!

I was run through, Surely the Word of God IS sharper than any two edged sword. I took the note from my pocket and gave it to the boy; he ran off after the man with it. So now I am just sitting here, Lord wondering - wondering what YOU will do.......

12noon - one hour later. Have just collected the post. One letter. It was sent all the way from Denmark and since the stamps were not enough it came by SEA and not by AIR and was sent more than a month ago. There was a cheque inside - a cheque for 50 pounds! What great abundance! Surely the Lord is ever busy on our behalf arranging for our need long before we ask or realise our our necessity."

A month later the Gardener brought back the 20/- I had given him with gratitude and thanksgiving - much more than I had deserved from him.

Nothing much has changed since then regarding the way we live here. The Numbers of children are more, the work has expanded, the economy has worsened, but HE still watches over us, ..... and ME - Yes, for all the years that have gone by, and for all the evidence of His Faithfulness to us, I still find it hard to give away our last shillings! But that reminds me of the Scripture which says =
Cast your bread upon the waters:
for you shall find it again after days Ecclesiastes 11v1


ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo


TESTIMONY HOUSE has been getting a bit shabby and run down to look at both inside and outside. We have felt helpless to do much about it, but this week we received a Gift at our very door which we have been able to use to good purpose. The painters have come in and painted almost all the exterior, walls and roof inclusive. Also we have been able to lay down a new floor covering in the sitting and dining room to replace the old and worn out linoleum. Made a lot of difference. Just in time for the Anniversary next month. We shall be able to SHINE just a little as we Rejoice and Witness to His Great Faithfulness.

I may be late with a word next week - Saturday WILL be VERY busy. Will write perhaps on Sunday instead. Our love to you all for all your love to us!

John & Esther

No comments: