Saturday 5 January 2013

INTO THE UNKNOWN

ONE HUNDRED YEARS AGO the year went on to end with the United States of America summing it all up in this rather glum and  despondent manner. Whoever chose the typeset certainly gave their all to making 'thirteen' take on a 'CREEPY' look; using its unlucky connotation as a number, and even giving the 3 a particularly 'nasty, even evil appearance!
On the other side of the Atlantic, it had become plain that a war was just around the corner, and all of Europe was feeling apprehensive.     WAS 1913 a bad year, especially for England?   If it was, nobody publicly said so!   Or was it just a prelude for worse to come.     WAR did come, the FIRST Great World War 1914-18.    Millions died.  Not a pleasant scenario to dwell or meditate upon.
BUT IS '13' a number to beware of?    Does it affect our sense of well being?     I was brought up to take notice of it - it was UNLUCKY.    Don't travel on the 13th, don't live at No.13...and so on.    My Mum was full of all kinds of such belief.......But to her general horror I never did take any notice of it.    I made a point of 'doing' things on the 13th for the pure delight of defying all the power of the 'old folk law' that people seemed to keep in mind in the 40s.     I always walked under ladders - nothing ever befell me.   I remained untouched and intact.     But my elders considered me heedless and incorrigible.     I have never changed, and so far, in my own life and experience, I have been protected from all the anxieties of the superstitious.
IN DECEMBER 1968, ON THE THIRTEENTH, AND ON A FRIDAY, I left England for Kenya, where I have been ever since.      I believe that all a person has to do in order to live a safe and care free life is to Trust in the Lord..      Remember NOTHING can by any means hurt you if GOD is with you, and IF Jesus is with you in your heart, then GOD himself is with you.     We will not fear.
This is the 5th day of January, and I am striding joyfully into it, determined to make a difference for the Glory and Honour of God.       AWAY with apprehensions, fears, and anxiety - and IN with Faith and Confidence with which to face the Future, and whatever if may bring.       WE are not alone, GOD stands with us.

2013 has dawned for us in Eldoret with Sunny days and much Thanksgiving, for the year past.   A year that strengthened our Faith in Christ, in our friends faithfulness and loyalty, and in our own frailties  that were made STRONG in His Keeping Power.         Satan had a real 'GO' on and off through the year, but he was no match for the One who stands with us each moment of every day.     Truly we were yet again shown how SECURE we are in His Love.       The days have been busy getting the children once more ready for a new Year and Term at School.     Shoes and uniform to buy, College fees to find..........AND this term the New Boys Boarding House for the High School Boarders has to open and accommodate all those needing boarding places in our High School.         The builders are still in, racing to complete and clean up by Monday!     Quite a lot of helter skelter everywhere.     But we all have a good spirit, and a lot of happiness and joy in the air!
BUT THIS IS ELECTION YEAR.      I BEGAN this Blog in an Election Year.     NOT the kind of Election one would want to happen again.    BUT people are full of apprehension that there might...WILL...be trouble in March.          Some elders amongst us are planning to be away from Eldoret during that month.           They are not 'afraid' of course, just want to make sure they will be safe!       The Government has also warned that they may decide to close down the Schools for two weeks during the Election Period.     Perhaps even THEY are jumpy. 
Tonia, Becky, Jesse, Eric, and Jeremy
WELL, dear friends, whatever may be in store WE are not jumpy; our lives are firmly in His hands, and we feel free and confident.       Whatever happens, in Christ Jesus, THIS year will be a GOOD year, and we shall be Thankful and Glad for it when it is over, and we move on.
Always ONWARDS is our goal

We wonder WHO will be visiting us this year.      Our son Steven is thinking of coming with his family again 'sometime' in the year ahead.       And our friends from Huddersfield, Ian and Diana are hoping to come out to us during September..........The Door is open, and we shall hope to see many others dropping in as days go by.
It WAS so good to see Eric and Tonia, our grandchildren, (Steven and Anjie's kids) here for Christmas, and it was a good chance for them to meet their cousins, Daryl and Carol's three kids as well - though I must say they all seem hooked up to 'electronics' more than human relationships!      They got on well on the whole - I mean they see so little of each other that they are almost strangers.        Prem and Elisabeth's John and Rachel are even worse off since they visit even less!!.     But we enjoyed ourselves.



I had post from the UK PENSIONS this week.      They phoned me twice in December, quite long and lengthy calls, and sent THREE letters this time, all saying the same thing virtually - That they 'are very pleased to inform me that my Pension has not been settled and the first years payment sent to my bank account.....to the sum of £0.24p per week!       It rather startled me - that they could actually go to  the trouble to send me SUCH a sum, at such an EXPENSE to themselves.       Bit of a disappointment though, for all that - until I realised that I had no real entitlement to a Pension since I had only worked TEN years before entering the Lord's service, and that when I did so I had no thought of a pension, knowing His daily care of me and mine.         SO I Thanked the Lord for the little, and REJOICED that I had never put my trust in ANY man to such an extent that I was in fact dependant on any.   He alone is our Rod and Staff - we shall  not want.

Daryl and I are busy preparing for the Annual Audit.    Quite a lot of work in fact, and I have been hard at it already to day.    Now I need to get back and complete my part before going to check the progress of the 'building works'      The School Office is also busy preparing for Audit as well  AND for a change in their Chief Clerk.      We have appointed a fully qualified public accountant to head the Accounts Office as from this month.      We have also appointed a full time Social Worker.    Both are Christian in faith and life.     We are trusting that they will help us improve our administrative performance, and also the general tone of the ministry here for Jesus.

SO I will bid you farewell.     CARRY ON going on.    We love you too.
Yours in His Grace and Mercy,


John, Esther, Daryl & Carol




No comments: