Saturday 16 May 2020


My 80th Birthday Party

In the midst of a Lock Down imposed on us by the Government since the outbreak of Covid 19 here in Kenya during the second week of March this year, we all met together in the School Hall.     

IT WAS A SURPRISE.    I had not picked up even a whisper about it all, and so when I found myself at the door of the HALL I was quite unprepared to meet ALL the children, and our remaining staff (a small crowd of approximately 140),  OR to be greeted by so  many all at once.    The Hall had been laid out with each of our four Family Homes having a space of their own, and me and Esther also with our own table.     Each Family  stood and sang Happy Birthday,  uproariously and then CAKE was cut and eaten.     A dear sister in the Lord had arranged for a Cake for ME, and one for each Family group, so that there would be enough for all to partake.     Great delight and fun, and a very HAPPY moment for me.   
 Daryl, Jeremy, John, James Manu, Jesse, Ericka, Esther, Helen with Abby, and Becky Green


 Of course we had hoped that, come this day, we might have been able to meet with ALL the Family, but regretfully Steven, Michael, and Elizabeth, and their families were also in lock-down in the U.K. and there was no chance for ANY of them to be with us.   But Daryl, and his three children managed to be with us, AND Manu - by special clearance - since they all live 'outside', AND Helen also since she has been confined inside TFH since the School was closed. 
Most of the 130 children + 12 staff - just a few missed at the edges!

Me and Esther receiving cards, together with Pastor Mike Kyalo and is wife Jacinta.   That Big SMILE of a Card bottom left of the photo hid a whole lot of Greetings from our dear Friends and Family in South Australia, and in particular Tyndale Christian School.
The one I am holding is from the Kyalos, and there were SO many more,  and ONE, that I was to receive a little later in the day, contained more than 64 signatures from the many of our 'sons and daughters' now away working in the world, with a big HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DAD, and a Gift Voucher they had all contributed to.   I am sure it stopped my heart for many moments, as I saw so much overwhelming evidence of affection, which I had not realised or understood.   I felt very humbled indeed.    More than 200 Greetings altogether with all our sons and daughters, grandsons and grandaughters all together from TFH as a whole, not to count another hundred from friends, all over.     

To the left is me and my dear wife, Esther.   What would I ever do without her.    She has been by my side now for 49 years, and good years they have been.     In fact most of the affection shown to me this Day, stems from her being my wife and their Mum. And I know the Day will come, by God's Grace, that will demonstrate the great and deep love our children have for her.      Well, she has been and remains God's greatest Gift to me in my life bar non but Christ.    She is my great pride and joy, and few men could deserve such loving and loyal support, through every Up and Down, of daily life and in the heat of the heavenly battle. 
We enjoyed the Day unitedly together, and so much the more because we had traveled the road together, and had prayed for the children together, that now - grown up - as adults could still make our hearts sing with gladness, pride and pleasure.

God has been very Faithful,  but Esther has been my human stay; more than a wife! And I do Thank the LORD for her every day.
 AND HERE is another little glimpse of her on  the Day with me again, and others of our 'family'.  It was, in fact, a 'Selfie' taken by Wilfred Kibet (far right) just out side the School  Office steps, after my Party!    A JOYFUL snap, and one that clearly reflects the free and happy mood of the Ocassion.      I think it was, in all, one of the  most happy days of my life!

 TO CLOSE is a photo of Grandpa and his six year old grandaughter,  Abigail.     I may be wrong, but she could be my greatest admirer.    She always brings out the best in me, and I must say she brings great joy and delight into my old age - but  then I must confess I can't help loving little children especially.       She spends a good part of her time with us, and a lot of that time she is telling me what she knows, and how well she can accomplish what she knows.   I am quite charmed, often swept of my feet by her sheer energy and every joyful and optimistic personality.

I must kindly ask all my many other Grandchildren not to feel put out - you are ALL loved and reached out to by me, and I believe God has something wonderful for each and every one of you.  I also can assure you that God longs to put his arm around you, and to draw you nearer to Himself (each one of you especially) in that warm and loving relationship that will never ever end.

================================ 

COVID 19 latest comment.
TODAY - 16/5/2020 Kenya has recorded a total of 830 Positive cases with 50 Fatalities.
Out of this number 301 cases have made recovery and have been able to re-enter normal life.
There is so far little easement of Lock down, and what HAS been reduced is now in balance caused by some doubt as to whether such easement has been wise.
SCHOOLS have not so far been opened, and there is still no concrete suggestion as to WHEN students at any level will be able to return to study.       The latest provisional date for limited return to School was given as 4th of June but this is now in doubt. 

WE hope to be taking councel as to how we should progress in the event of school being allowed to re-open on a limited basis with restrictions applying, such as 'spacing' .     We will try to continue to provide ongoing information as it affects TFH week by week.

We all otherwise continue to live here as previously described.    There seem so be no change in this area of the Country in regard to the Virus.      However RAINS have been heavy in places and many have died in floods and landslides.      We are also living under the threat of renewed clouds of Locusts re-invading Kenya.       Not good news.

And there we will leave it for this week.      I would once again personally like to Thank all those who have sent Birthday Greetings, and words of encouragement in the last week especially.    Your words and thoughts were indeed encouragement, and also strength to our heart.      The Lord truly Bless YOU all, and uphold you all.      The VICTORY is HIS.      We shall NOT be moved.

Lovingly in Jesus NAme

John, Esther and Daryl Green



No comments: