Saturday 11 January 2014


THE FIRST PHOTO OF THE YEAR -  A group of four.   From the Left, Daryl, Carol, Tammy Garrett, Esther, and myself.    We had just enjoyed a small farewell supper together at our local 'restaurant' nearby.  Last night (Friday) in fact!
Tanny Garrett
TAMMY has been with us for almost a whole month now, and is hoping to return to Adelaide next week, probably on Tuesday or Wednesday.     We shall miss her, and by 'we' I do not mean Esther and me alone, for in fact we have hardly seen her apart from when she comes to sleep, and at Breakfast. In between she has given herself every moment of every day to being with the Children and also the Staff. She is quite a human dynamo but also a very outgoing person who easily relates to all and sundry.     This has really been her 'holiday' but more probably VERY HARD work.  
She has kept every one occupied and happy wherever she has gone, and she has given of herself equally to every House.     She is also a bit of a SCRABBLE addict, and has really aroused a great deal of interest in this board-game - she engendered so much interest  that it has become very competitive.      Truly she has been inexhaustible in her practical giving of herself and time.      Usually we have only seen her fleetingly during the Annual Visit of her School to us each July - this was the first time for her to devote a whole month of days, and WOW, she has truly put all she has into it.     Our hearts have been touched, and our lives blessed.      And of course she IS a teacher, and will return next week to a full term, of TEACHING - no rest it would seem, but she just glows with the joy of it all.

SCHOOL has started well, and we have been much encouraged to see parents continuing to bring their children to us, even though we have been forced to increase Termly Fees.    As you know we pay the teachers who are all Government trained.      The Result of the Primary National Examinations came out last week, and were a little disappointing for us.    We had hoped for more students to attain higher marks - but on the other hand almost EVERY student passed well enough to continue on to High School.         Some parents also have evinced their disappointment, suggesting we look for better teachers, and also weed out students who do not perform well so that our final Mean Score as a School improves.      We usually have one or two poor students from the Homes who do not achieve well.   But the School was built as much for the poor student as for the bright!     As for the teachers we ensure at Interview that they are all well qualified, experienced and with good records.
Why are parents are so quick to blame the Teacher - after all some children just do not compete well at certain levels and events.     If my child is not academically brilliant he does not shame me or make me love him less.     Parents should be careful not to expect from their children more than was expected of them, or even to use them as status symbols for their own aggrandisement.      When we are quick to share that our Mary got straight 'A's, are we displaying pride in the child's achievement, or in the fact that she has proved what clever parents she must have come from?
BUT for all this, as I said at the beginning, parents still flock to our doors, and we know that the Lord our God is the one Who has lifted us up in their opinions - that it is little or nothing of our own doing.
Please pray for our Teachers and those of us that are responsible to and for them, that they might not feel dejected, but rather the more encouraged to battle on and to motivate their students to greater heights and ambitions.

I PERSONALLY (John) have not been feeling too good of late.   My Diabetes is pressing me a little, and although I am free of physical aches and pains, I know that I have slowed down a lot, and I have felt somehow DOWN.     Well of course all of us have days like that from time to time, but I have felt a bit under par for a while now.     There have been many challenges and trials over the last year, and both Esther and I are not quite as resilient as we were.    Our faith has been tested along the way - we feel it, with growing intensity - alerting us to the fact that the Enemy is uncomfortable with us, and anxious to dishearten us.      Even now there are many matters confronting us and the ministry here.
Some of these things are surely just due to advancing age.     Others the affects of a changing world and society around us.      But GOD is GOOD and we know He does not change.       And He has ministered faithfully to me in this 'darkness' so that I find His hand upon me, steadying me, and assuring my heart - even this week as we read through Psalm 31 where David says -
Oh how great is thy goodness, which thou hast laid up for them that fear thee;
which thou hast wrought for them that trust in thee before the sons of men. -v19

I had said in my haste,
I am cut off from before thine eyes:
nevertheless thou heardest the voice of my prayer when I cried out to thee. - v22

THE SUN CONTINUES TO SHINE gloriously above,  and I find myself remembering a hymn by A.H. Ackley..(1887-1960)..Already the words immediately minister to my spirit.     Perhaps I should no longer seek your prayers - He Himself has lifted me up even as I write.........
All the darkness of the night has passed away,
It is morning in my heart!
I am living in the sunlight of the day;
It IS morning in my heart
You can find it in the Redemption Hymnal Number 653, and it is well worth looking it up even if you do not know the tune.     I have just broken off to sing it all through, and found my poor spirit rising to its exhilarating Joy.       FATHER is SO Good, so good.    


I think I will go for a little walk with HIM - such a pity to be inside when it such a glorious day.  May He always be with each one of you, even intruding upon those moments when you were not expecting Him.    How marvellous that we are so CARED about and WATCHED over  -     we ARE so privileged.
God Bless and keep you through the coming week

John and Esther






No comments: