Saturday 4 February 2017

ALL ARE ACCOUNTABLE TO DO NO HURT TO THE OTHER

PUPIL BEATEN TO DEATH FOR FAILING TO READ.  -  Kenya DAILY NATION Headline of 31st January this year.    She was said to be only ten years old.       This immediately brought back memories of my own childhood, and my own humiliation and punishment because of my own inability to READ at eleven years old - an important 'year' in those days since it was the cross over year from Primary to Secondary School.    In 1951 the cane was in regular use in British Schools; the cane, and anything else that might be used to wake up a student, or even hurt him.
I hope I have not previously put up this extract from my book 'A Cry from the Street' before, but if so please forgive me - it is just so applicable.

'This was to be my fourth Primary School, I was almost eleven years old, and had grown up to be very fat.   I was fairly obedient, but undoubtedly selfish and inward looking, for I had very few friends of my own age, and no one to share anything with.     I excelled, at that time, in artwork and very little else.    I could not read or write.   I felt academically inferior and stupid, afraid of fellow students in case they should laugh at me.    For this reason School was a nightmare to me.    My NEW class master, a thin, severe, unsmiling man, seemed to delight in asking me to stand up in Class and read, even though he knew well enough that I had a real problem.   Daily I would be standing my my desk, book in hand, choking with misery and shame, whilst every head in the class would be turned in my direction in delightful anticipation of my failure - and the outcome!
'Well Green!  Come on; begin!", commanded the master.   Tears would well into my eyes and roll silently down my cheeks. My tongue seemed to grow fat, and fill my mouth.  
Looking  now at the Class, the master continued.  "Well boys, it seems Green still cannot read to us!" Laughter now all round the room  "How old are you Green?" asked the Master.
I opened my mouth and began to stutter.     "T,t,t,t,te.."
"Speak boy!   Speak" shouted the Master.
"T,t,ten, Sir."  I managed at last to answer him.    "TEN and he still can't read!"  he jeered.  "Come out here, boy"     And I would go slowly up the aisle to his big desk at the front of the Class.
"Hold out your hand....STAND still!" and taking his springy cane he would cut my palm until it was read and swollen; even bloody.   Yet that was nothing compared to the spiteful pleasure my classmates had on me because of it.        I hated School, and hated my slowness, hated not having a Father who would come and stand by me.    There were so many things I hated in my life at that time...........'

The little girl reported it the Daily Nation, died in the Hospital where she was taken after her ordeal;  hers must have been much more severe beating than my own,    Indeed the newspaper account make the Teacher incite the whole class to pummel her as well.      But both attacks were motivated by the same sadistic nature and ill humour of a man; a man appointed to help.      Years have gone by and the Cane outlawed, yet men and women - even teachers - still yearn to use it - indeed they DO insist even in the face of clear instruction NOT to do so.      Not that I personally would BAN it altogether.  It is the USER of the cane that is at fault NOT the discipline it is meant to control.      The cane itself is meant to curb insubordination and rebellion - NOT as a remedy for a child,or even an adult already in distress and need of help.    

What is it in some people that makes them want to hurt those weaker than themselves.    Is it that they cannot endure those slower, or less able, than themselves?   Do they despise someone for being 'slow on the uptake', a 'bit daft', or just simply stupid, and rather than find a way to improve, encourage, and HELP such a student they treat them like a dumb beast who should know better.    It is especially found in some parents, as well as teachers, and also among the Police, Prison Officers, and yes, even among nurses.       We have punished the cane, and legally put it away, whilst at the same time doing little to teach the cane's user to be responsible for his lack of justice and self control.      Little Joy Wangari was probably finding learning difficult, as I did, due to her home life, and circumstances.      Impatience and irritable miss judgement in one appointed to teach and help
her on, helped to cause her untimely death.      One cannot begin to appreciate how her Mum and Dad are feeling.     Our hearts go out to them at this time.

The incident I recorded about  MY day in the Classroom repeated itself, day after day..........'THEN,  unpredictably, one evening at home, I began to READ - fluently!   I can remember the book, a small and simple reader entitle "A Dog Called Spot'.   That night I read it all the way through without a single word being a stumbling to me.It was like a door being unlocked and a blindness lifted.   From that day I read avidly anything that came to hand, quickly grasping the usefulness of a dictionary.   It was a turning point in many ways, and although I was to remain behind, and never really enjoyed school it,  a whole new world was opened up to me, and I too full advantage of it.'

================================ 


Back to Green Cottage, opposite Testimony House, and Me and my little woman, together with Georgina White.     Georgina was here with her Mum, Paula White, in April last year.  She actually journeyed to Kigali in Uganda first with a group, and arrived with us Friday last week.  She leaves on Monday for home again, and has had a very full and energetic time with our kids, who all  enjoyed her so much on her last visit.   She has stayed with us in Green Cottage, and feels like one of the family.     We hope she will come again.     Trying to get her Mum back again as well.    Photo to the right
shows them together
last year!
And then, just today, we had a visit from one of our old boys, who is very close to us, David Koech.    David has a home in America, but spends a lot of time in Kenya as well, and has a small Farm not far from us.   He is here visiting and so we also profited in seeing him visit us.    It was really good to see him.
WE have had RAIN - not a LOT, but some!   We had received a light shower on Friday of last week, THEN on Saturday it rained for 6 hours after I had sent the Blog.     Two more days of light rain, and then today it has begun to be cloudy AGAIN.     The Meteorologists told us on Monday the rain is finished - and before it rained they told us there would be none - and THEN we prayed ...........It was refreshing and also a huge encouragement to the many who are having to battle in this town with shortage of WATER.      Thank you Father in Heaven.

OUR YOUNG MAN, DAN, with a hole in his heart has been at school the whole week, but yesterday complained of stomach pain!     Nothing to do with heart of course!!    We are now in touch with a Hospital in Nairobi which also runs a heart foundation, and we shall taking Dan up there soon for further tests and advice as to the future.    AND we remain in prayer.

God Bless you all and keep you well, and provide for you where there is need.     We pray always for all of you, even as we pray for ourselves.        Our Love always in Jesus

John, Esther and Daryl Green













No comments: