Saturday 4 October 2008

UPDATE

WELL HERE I AM in my Office surrounded by bric a brac - at least this is my corner! The rest of the Office includes a very large 15 place Board room table, video library and space enough to fit in about 40 people for when we have prayer meetings, seminars and so on. It IS a large all purpose room of some 900 square feet! The Children's Services Forum meets here on the last Wednesday of every month. You can see just a little of the roof of Green Cottage through the window. Most of my daily correspondence is done from here, and a good deal of real administration. BUT it is by no means all that I do, and I cannot say I am chained to my chair. I am out and about in the compound of the School and Homes often in a way that keeps me aware of what is going on, and even of what may NOT be going on! The Government inspects both parts of the ministry here at least three times a year, and it is wise for us to keep tabs on ourselves BEFORE an inspector arrives and catches us by surprise. We want to be up to scratch all the time, and of course this makes sure that the children are also properly cared for and buildings maintained. Additionally I am also in regular attendance upon committees related to other aspects of Children's Services such as Probation, Community Service, and more recently I am an official Visitor to Foster Homes in the immediate area. All this keeps me fairly occupied and sometimes too much so.
This week has been no exception, and I am feeling a little weary. Sorting out the 'robbery' of a fortnight ago has also taken a lot out of me, and two of our staff, one having been with us for more than 15 years, have had to go. No easy to discipline and keep order - even in what is supposed to be a 'Christian' establishment.

TODAY the School has been holding what they termed a 'Book Harvest'! The School has lacked a
library and on School Parent's Day this year the Guest of Honour, suggested that parents each purchase one new book and do their best to collect more. On his own part he promised to also bring a donation of new books. Parents all seemed very positive and happy with this idea, and so the date was set for this Saturday, some two months later.
So from 10a.m. this morning the driveway was packed with cars and parents and children con-verged on the School Hall (extreme right front of the photo) Parents brought in about 1,800 books and the Guest Honour, Professor James L. Ole Kiyapi, Permanent Secretary to the Ministry of Medical Services for Kenya brought Ksh.65,000 worth of new books which he had been able to secure from friends in the Publishing business. Not a bad haul, although parents brought books which were mostly second hand paper editions which will not have a long life in a busy School Library. The actual Library can be spied at the far end of the driveway in this photo, painted white; It can easily contain up to 8,000 hard cover books, and that is our aim. We shall continue to encourage parents, staff and well wishers to think of donating a hardcover book or two when the Lord puts it into their mind!
I was the one chosen to introduce Pro
fessor Kiyapi during the occasion, and in doing so described my own introduction to books. As a child of eleven I had been unable to read even three letter words. Perhaps due to my rather disturbed and erratic upbringing. But just before taking the 11+ examination of those days (1950s) I came across a small book with a brown paper cover adorned with the picture of a rather sad looking Spaniel. It was entitled 'A Dog Called Spot'. I remember picking it up and looking inside for more pictures of the poor dog! Only print - and I immediately began to read it! I read it all the way through; a very simple first reader. It was the very first time I had recognised words. It was a read breakthrough for me; it was like a world unlocked, and my life became revolutionised as I became an enthusiastic and avid reader of whatever came to hand - with the help of a junior first dictionary! Reading has ever since been part of my life and has made it possible for me to hold my own in conversation with any man. I never went to University, but I believe that my capacity for READING gave me knowledge and understanding on a par with any University student.
Professor Kiyapi, in rising to speak after my introduction, amazingly shared how that as a child he himself did not BEGIN school of any kind until he was twelve years old. In his tribe, ( he is a Masai ), a boy is first made to look after cows from when he is 5 until when he is 8. If he does well he graduates from looking after cows and is given goats to care, and then after that CALVES. On reaching 11 if he has done well, then he can expect his father to consider sending him to Primary School. He entered the first Grade of Primary School when he was twelve years of age - and learned to READ, and like me hungered to read EVERYTHING that came his way. Reading sped him forward in his education, until he found himself in front of those who had begun their own education earlier that he had. He found himself graduating from High School with straight 'A's and and then taken to University. He became one of the youngest ever to achieve a Professorship. He also is a Christian Believer.
INSPIRING STUFF. We hope it will encourage our children to READ.

It is STILL raining in Eldoret. Dark, dank and chilly with it! Not pleasant, and not cheerful. Could be England just now. or conversely England could be on the Equator! Not a lot of difference.

God Bless and inspire you in the week ahead.

John and Esther

No comments: