Friday 19 February 2010

HOUSE NUMBER THREE

THIS WEEK WE ARE BACK IN TYNDALE COTTAGE, Tyndale was begun in 2003 in a rented house, and was first known as Trinity Cottage. However when the family moved into the NEW house, made possible by the good will of Tyndale Christian School in South Australia, we decided to re-name it - so now it is Tyndale Cottage. A Home to some 25 children, boys and girls between the ages of 1 and 18. Mica and Senge Catherine YEGO started this Home, and remain the Houseparents up to date. They have forged a family that is knit very close, and there is a very special and loving atmosphere amongst them all. This is not to say that 'family feeling' and loving care is not apparent in the other three Homes, but perhaps because of the currently very young age of the majority in Tyndale it seems realised more instantly there. And of course this is a family that has, in the majority, been together since the onset with the same 'Mum and Dad'. The few new members that have joined in with them found an established family, with established relationships. They just were sucked in and became almost instantly absorbed into the general atmosphere.
Mica and Catherine, shown below, were newly weds when they began the Home. They were to remain childless in their marriage for almost seven years until their little son Steven was born in November 2009. During that time they became parents to more than 30, and by the time Steven was given to them, they had learned a great deal about parenting - and they were more than prepared to receive from God one of their very own making. And the entire family rejoiced and erupted with happiness at this addition to their family. Looking behind the family group - bottom right - you can see the end of DRAKELEY Cottage. Jacaranda is just hidden to the LEFT, in between the two. A very compact compound, yet with enough play space and openness so that the whole is in no way cramped or overcrowded.
ON MONDAY OF THIS WEEK Esther and I flew up to Nairobi to receive my Award. Poor Esther managed a 'wobbly' tummy on the way, and spent the best part of the morning feeling a bit queasy. However, she did eventually overcome it, and for the most part we had a good day together. Esther's brother in law, Joe Kibe met us at the Nairobi Airport and drove us into the City. We first of all had to attend the Kenya Probation & After Care Services Head-quarters. We were to meet the Director and his Assistant there. However when we arrived about 9.30a.m. they had both been called away to another function in another part of Kenya. We were then met by a Senior Assistant Officer. The Award had been solicited from the President by the Service in Thanks and Appreciation for the considerable material and human assistance Testimony Faith Homes has shared with them over the last 40 years. It was given because of my own personal interest and involvement in the Service as it applies to our immediate district. We have felt it complementary to the concern we have generally between us for the welfare of young people - even those who have fallen by the wayside. We have not, however, only assisted to help and rehabilitation juveniles, but have even aided older Probationers.

We left the Probation Headquarters and walked across the road to the Vice President's Office where the presentation was to be made. We were shown into a most prestigious ante room and told to wait. An hour went by during which we made polite conversation with the Senior Assistant who had accompanied us. At last she stood up and said she had to return to her Office but that we would be well looked after until the event took place. We thanked her and she left. Another hour went by. It was very quiet as if we were the only people alive in the building. I decided to take a look around and see if I could find out what was happening. No one was to be seen as I walked down a wide corridor. I came to the Office of the Vice President, and decided to go in, but as I did so the door opened and a Secretary walked out. "Can I assist you?" he asked. I shared my situation and he immediately conducted me to another palatial office inhabited by two lady typists.. "These ladies will assist you", said my guide, and left. Again I shared my problem. I had been ask to come for an Award. I had been here two hours, and had to consider catching a plane back to Eldoret mid afternoon. One of the typists arose from her chair and said, "Just wait two minutes," and disappeared. I waited, standing by a desk. Sure enough in a couple of minutes she reappeared clutching a rather battered A4 size brown envelope. "Here we are", she said a little breathlessly. "Here is your Medal! Congratulations!" She then shook the envelope, which was open, and out flew some papers, and booklets, and finally a small bronze Medal with a short ribbon. "I must apologise to you" said the typist, "should have given it to you as soon as you arrived! Have a good trip back to Eldoret." I was dismissed! No one to shake my hand or pin the Medal on my lapel. I took the proffered envelope, gathered up the booklets and papers, and lastly gingerly picked up the rather meagre looking Ribbon and Medal. I suddenly felt a little humiliated! What had I expected? Too much it seemed. But it was good for my ego. I left the Office and found Esther and Joe, and we together left the building. We saw no one else. except a Guard at the door. It was rather like leaving a well kept but quite unused art gallery.

We went for lunch together, joined by Esther's sister Mary, Joe's wife. We had a good and happy time together, then caught the plane back to Eldoret at 4p.m. Not quite what we had thought the day would be, but we enjoyed ourselves. It was like an unexpected Day Out; a real Treat.

I have hung the Medal on the wall of my office. I doubt if I shall ever wear it.. I am the recipient (though few will ever know) of the Head of State's Commendation medal, and can now put HSC after my name. Quite amazing. And in it's own way, I do own it to have honoured me, no matter how it was given or bestowed. AND the Probation Department is hugely delighted that I have been officially and publicly 'noticed' and 'appreciated', by their own urging, for a long and most useful 'friendship'. We shall continue working together and encouraging each other. They themselves are poorly paid and little valued for the work they do in trying to reclaim, rehabilitate, and even save human beings from their mistakes and troubles. Each one of THEM need a medal - and much more.

The week has proceeded quietly, calmly, and rather WETLY as it is still raining - But on Monday the sun shone, and the sky was blue, and Nairobi was fresh and inviting to us two elderly country trippers. Hallelujah.

Much Love to you all - have yourselves a wonderful week.


John and Esther































No comments: