Saturday 6 December 2014

MEMORY LANE IN THE HERE AND NOW.

GLIMPSES of us at home in TFH.
This photo was taken last Christmas at the conclusion of our Concert Night.     Just a few days before Christmas the children usually put on a Nativity Play, Carols and so on. It lasts about two hours and starts about 7.30p.m.    All the children attend and support it, and it is open for the general public to also come and enjoy - all quite FREE.
I am not too sure how we will proceed from here - but probably it will be a bit 'higglety-pigglety'.    Just wanted to create a sense of being here with us, although this is almost impossible......
The first few are from the Commencement - circa 1970.   We were living in Maseno when this was taken - I had 28 boys then and had only just met Esther.   They were a mixed bag of urchins aged between 8 and 15.     They led me a real dance, some of them, but it was a learning process, and although a good many of them were to find alternatives to staying with me, a good many also went on to move to Eldoret with us in 1972.    Being unmarried I had two young men to assist me, and yes, that white blob on the back line is me.    The veranda to the back was that of the home of the then Anglican Archbishop of Kenya, The Rt. Rev Festo Olang - we actually rented his family home in those days to live in.    He was a very generous hearted man, full of charity and faith.    The NEXT photo is of a group of the younger ones, one of whom actually did move from Maseno with us to Eldoret on Boxing Day 1972.      I had married Esther in 1971, and our own firstborn son was about six months old at this time.     Most of the boys in this photo we found on Eldoret Municipal Rubbish Dump in 1974/5.   They actually LIVED there from off the rubbish and refuse.     The two on the right grew up to be well known Soccer Players, one actually playing for Kenya.     We had not built the School, but we had begun to rent what we later purchased and named Jacaranda Cottage.            From here on we might go to anywhere or anyone. I will try to make sure you do not get too lost.     I find setting photos and matching them to the text is a problem for me, and it does not always work out.    We have so far had photos 1 - 3.      I will refer to all others by the order in which they appear - the next will be the 4th. and 5th.

 The one with the red furnishings is Testimony House sitting room, and the other is of the dining room.    The house was built about 1910 of mud brick and timber.   It has no foundation, but is large and comfortable. Homely!
The large sitting room, 900 sq ft is at the heart of the house and is the centre of all family life.     Our other three homes also have the same, though not 'quite' so roomy. The other photo is of the sitting room of Jacaranda Cottage - they are having a 'Sing-song' one evening.  Jacaranda is not quite so old as Testimony House, but probably built of similar material in the 1920s.       It is this house we hope to replace, in the coming months, with a more modern house - this one is not well designed for a big family, and also is very dark and rather gloomy due to small window space.      Since moving into it in 1975 we also got to hear of a rather unfortunate story - that the previous owner may have murdered her husband and buried him under the floor of one of the rooms.     Still we have seen no ghosts - but it has not had a good 'feeling' about it.  
Photo 6 is taken from inside the sitting room of Tyndale Cottage. Tyndale and Drakeley Cottages have both been built since 2007 and are light and airy; pleasant to live in, and very easy to keep clean.  Each Home has boys AND girls.    This came about because we often find ourselves taking in 'families of children' brothers and sisters.    We do not like to separate them but keep them together when we can.     It works very well, and helps in keeping the sense of REAL family.
I must say Esther and I have been glad to have an opportunity to be Mum and Dad to so many.   Both of us had stormy beginnings.  I myself only recently have been able to trace my birth parents who rejected me.    Wonderfully I was also able to find my Sister, a sister I knew nothing about, and who knew nothing about me. Blood is thicker than water.    It is I think instinctive.   But I believe that we are able to love those that are not family, and actually bring them into our Family - God does!    Thank you Father for all the wonderful BEAUTY that is IN you and that exudes FROM you to us.    It is all around us in the beauty of your Creation,  and it is for ever reflected in all that you do, and most of all in loving us; in loving me, and bring me into your family - into your heart.

WELL I think I have come to the end of this edition.   I may consider going on putting up a photo here and there more than usual.     There are so many.     But as the days continue to go by I am sure you are also being carried along by Commercial Xmas.
Here - apart from the BIG supermarkets, there is little sign of   Christmas of ANY kind.     There will be a TREE raised in front of the Governor's Office soon.    Not attractive, or artistically decorated. No special street lighting, no commercial displays in shop windows, just normal, almost unchanging, dullness.   We shall be decorating our sitting rooms about the 18th December.   BUT our thoughts as usual are upon the Birth of Jesus (not because he was born in December) but because it is a traditional time to do so, and why not indeed?     He WAS born sometime - why not remember?      IT WAS A SPECIAL MOMENT for our Father in Heaven.      A heart-rending moment I think - and He let it happen for me, for you, for EVERYONE who might believe.    Yes I want to dwell upon it.     I want it to make a difference in my life, my surroundings, and my family.     God Bless you all, as we WAIT for Him.

Love to you all,      John, Esther, and Daryl










No comments: