Saturday 21 April 2012

THE RAINS HAVE BEGUN, and the grass is greener by the day.   And YET the skies are blue all day - what a delight; what cause for Praise and Thanksgiving.     In the photo I am visiting my many 'grandchildren' from Tyndale Cottage seen in the background.    They usually run to greet me, get a cuddle or a hug AND, maybe a balloon - if by some chance I might have one or two in my pocket.     They are all a delightsome happiness to meet with.
BUT they soon grow up, and in their growing become less innocent and teachable.   Yet it is good to see them grow, especially in the Lord.     But some grow without Him, initially, and we then make do with their natural progress, even though at times it may disappoint and give us concern.     It is the LORD who brought each one to our doors, and we believe it was because He believed it would be step in the right direction for them, and for us, and that the 'eventual' outcome would only be GOOD.     We walk by faith and not by sight, even in this area of our daily life as we observe each other.       And this reminds me of something written by John NEWTON, way back in the 1700s  - He wrote

'A Christian is not of hasty growth, like a mushroom,
but rather like the OAK, the progress of which is
hardly perceptible, but which in time becomes a
great deep rooted tree.'

A beautiful and hopeful observation which encourages patience and a merciful spirit in us as we consider not only those 'growing' around us, but indeed our own progression into His Likeness.

I also came across another poem written by the same author, and which I found a most encouraging and inspirational contribution.
'Why should I fear the darkest hour?.
Or tremble at the tempter's power?
Jesus vouchsafes to be my Tower   .

Though hot the fight, why quit the field?
Why must I either flee or yield?
Since Jesus is my mighty Shield?

When Creature comforts fade and die,
Worldlings may weep, but why should I?
Jesus still lives and still is nigh!

Though all the flocks and herds were dead,
my soul  a famine need not dread,
for Jesus is my living Bread.

I know not what may betide,
 Or how my wants shall be supplied;
   But Jesus knows, and will provide.

Against me earth and hell combine
but on my side is power Divine;
Jesus is all, and He is mine

=====================================================


We have heard from a very few that our recent newsletters, annual account, and awareness leaflet are being received.    We know you will use them all as fuel in your prayers and thoughts concerning us.   This week has sped by.   The School still on the April Vacation until 3rd May, and all the children at home and enjoying the freedom, although they still must attend to their daily house chores.    For the most part they are having a very happy time, and full of beans ( almost literally since that is a more than usual ingredient of our diet these days.)     But we rejoice to see them happy and well.      Some of the older ones are a little more sober in their re-action to vacation, but for the most part they are also happy to have a break from text books and teachers.   For their house-parents though it is a more demanding time..........!

This time last year, Esther and I were preparing to travel up to Scotland to meet my sister Pat for the first time.      It will be her Birthday next week - how time has flown.     Mine will be a week or so later too.    Quite something to know you have a soul mate you never were aware of for a lifetime!
MANY HAPPY RETURNS dear my sister!    Hope to see you back here again soon.

Tomorrow it is my day to bring the Message in our Church fellowship.    Hope to speak on Stewardship - BAD Stewardship -  of our body, life, and possessions!!     Then in the afternoon we shall be having a Fellowship for Married Couples, and in the evening our local thirty or so strong Missionary Fellowship will be meeting in Green Cottage.    A busy day for everyone one way or another

We pray God's Blessing only YOU all, and hope you also will be encouraged and heartened day by day t take advantage of the Gift of Life given - however it presents itself.    Remember ALL things do work together for good for those who own God as Lord and Master.

Lovingly

John and Esther

No comments: