Saturday 22 January 2011

WASTAGE OF A LIFE!

HERE IS A PHOTO OF LIFE EMERGING! I recently came across a Poem which set me off on a train of thought. But it has in fact focused more as days have passed. The Poem is the work of an author I have never heard of, but for all that still beautifully constructed, and with a good point made. I will repeat it here now.
It is written by Coral Copping -


That Timeless Mystery


THAT TIMELESS MYSTERY, a plant appearing,
A fragile leaflet silently uncurled,
Helpless and harmless - potent as a kiss -
A tiny tongue put out to taste the world.

No one has ever seen this common marvel;
The soil that is in secret forced apart,
The frail green piercing the crusted surface.
Earth's greatest power is down there in the dark.

Nothing a seed can know of all its blossom,
Nothing of fruiting, colour or the sun,
Only the impulse, constant and compelling,
The upward urge until its life is done.

We are not plants but masters of our fortune,
Cream of creation on our special star,
Yet universal law prevails....How should we feel
If we were programmed thus? Perhaps we are


CERTAINLY, it must be that we know nothing about where we are coming to whilst we grow in the womb. We are thrust suddenly from darkness to blinding light, total change, and the chaos of the unknown. Surely nothing in our previous unborn state could have prepared us for what was one to day burst upon us. Nothing to provide any expectation for the future or how we would prosper or fail. Born in innocence and ignorance of all that awaits us, good and bad, we are inevitably born, I believe, and planned for. But the plan is not itself inevitably executed or carried out. Much may happen to spoil it along the way. We ourselves, unlike the simple seedling, may use our own will and way to go against the plan and spoil the programming. A host of elemental, pyhsical and spiritual forces range themselves against us. And The Enemy of all natural life , and of God Himself, constantly at work to bring us all to nothing here on our 'special star'.

ONE NIGHT THIS WEEK, at 4a.m I was roused from my bed to speak with an 'old boy' from the Homes who was at my door. (The photo is not of him, but gives a good impression of the state of mind that he was in). I left Esther in bed, and went to meet him. He would not enter the house, and so we sat outside, on the veranda. The security light was on so we were not in the dark. He sat right at the furthest end, and I found a seat beside him. He is well known to us, though he left the Homes some while ago. He has a good job in the town, and is generally liked and considered hard working and responsible by his employer. But he drinks heavily outside working hours, and lives beyond his means because of it. It was cold on the veranda, and I was still in my pyjamas and without even shoes on the cold terrazo floor.
He turned to me, looking unseeingly at me with eyes that seemed dull and lifeless, as if he was in another place talking to someone else - not me. The compound stretched away from us in heavy silent darkness....................
"Oh! I am such a bad and wicked person! I am so bad! I am SO bad! I do so much wrong, and I do it all the time. I am SO bad. I cannot know what to do - I am in despair! he began to sob and laid his head on my breast. 'I have TRIED! I have really tried to get myself right. I have tried so many times, but I cannot succeed. I am worthless and hopeless.'
My own heart was breaking for him, but he was not really speaking to me, but to himself or some other unseen being. He was desperate, and I also was full of desire to help him. I knew he could never help himself. BUT I knew the ONE who could and would help him. I spoke gently telling him of the One Who had found me and become the Answer to MY distress. But he made no sign of hearing me, only continuing to sob and groan. In the daytime when he is sober he is very self-confident and assured. Smart and vigorous he is good company and shows no sign of feeling dissatisfied with himself, or his life-style. He dons't want to talk about God when he is sober. HOW STRANGE that only when the effect of alcohol has dulled our awareness, and some how freed us from pretense, we then demonstrate who and what we really are, and what we really have become. When sober we cover up ourselves, letting our deceiptful minds assure us that all is well with our soul. Both Esther and I had 'fathers' who drank took much every day. Daily they would come confessing their error and weeping over their sins, like sinners to the Cross. But as soon as they awoke the next morning they went off nonchalanly about their usual business, immediately forgetful they were ever ashamed or sorry for their foolishness. I knew this young man to be no different. I prayed with him, comforted him with the Word of God and trusted that in the Mercy of God perhaps at least ONE word might prove powerful and effectual enought to pierce the unreal, dreamland in which he was confined. He thanked me and left. He was not unsteady. I watched him go; he would reach his own home in just a few minutes. He would be safe. I returned to bed. Esther was still awake. We shared a little and prayed. We still hope to SEE his Salvation and Deliverance. We are glad to know he KNOWS he is wrong deep within himself - we pray the knowledge will one day confront him at a SOBER moment, at a time when he will TRULY SEE the truth, and call upon his Savour. Perhaps one day he WILL remember who he is and what his needs really are. And then perhaps he will remember the one who answered him, and turn his eyes to Jesus.

DO YOU have youngsters with you, growing up, or even grown up and now away? Do you pray much for them. Do you look carefully to discover any stone of stumbling that YOU can remove that might cause them to trip or fall? Esther and I have often searched our hearts. We all, I believe, try to do our best, but it is easy to just not SEE that little stone of offence.
PAUL in 1. Corinthians 8v13 writes -
'...if food makes my brother stumble
I will never again eat meat
lest I make my brother stumble.'
Pretty stong words! And in Romans 14v20-21 he also says -
'Do not destroy the work of God for the sake of food.
It is good neither to eat meat nor drink wine,
nor do anything by which your brokther stumbles
or is offended, or made weak.

I read this week that 50% ( a conservative estimate) of the world's population drink to excess.
Perhaps there are some that are drinking wine, spirits and alcohol without excess. Even in the families of those who have knowledge of God some drink. It is more and more socially acceptible to have wine with a meal - to have alcohol in the house and in the office as a social must! But one thing does have a habit of leading to another. Usually progressively so. Perhaps not all will fall for such example or temptation, but it is certain sure that many will. A little wine can lead to MORE wine and from wine to hard 'spirits' and the beer hall. It can look harmless, social good fun and fellowship for you - but what about HIM or HER over there. Are you ready to be responsible for encouraging them to a catastrophic future...? The pictorial warning to the left clearly defines the dangers to our physical bodies that are having their root in alchohol of an excessive kind. I am not condemning un-excessive use of alcohol, but neither am I encouraging it. Am I a kill joy? Am I just a pruddish, straight-laced pharasee? I hope not. BUT I am very much convicted about being my brother's keeper.
GOD asked CAIN (in Genesis 4) where his brother Abel was. Cain had in fact murdered and buried him. Cain answered God trulently and said 'AM I MY BROTHER'S KEEPER?' God told Cain that his brother's blood ( LIFE) was crying out against him from the ground where he had buried him. He had to give an account! So will we........

It is our DUTY to watch out for the good of our brother/sister. It is our duty to sacrifice our own comfort, liberty, and even personal enjoyment for them if it means keeping them from harm, and from missing their way following God's Plan for their lives. We will not be forced to do it - but we will be asked to say why we didn't and to bare the responsibility when a brother or sister we might have helped from error, ends up ruined because of our own selfishness.

The week has been hot and dry, with high winds full of dust swhirling around Eldoret. But the sun has shone, and we have kept close to God. Every morning we have met together with Him and Praised Him and Thanked Him for Who He IS. We are GLAD in the Lord.

Bless you all and receive it from HIM. He loves you. He cares for you

JOHN and ESTHER






No comments: